[Student Commons Discussion]: Staying Focused


Staying Focused: 

What works for you? What are your challenges?

One of the major issues of teenage learners is staying FOCUSED. There are so many distractions! And for BlueSky students who do their school work from home...the distractions can be oooohhh so tempting!

I hit up our Student Commons discussion board to see what students are saying about distractions and staying focused. Here are some of their responses: 

"My friends often come over when I'm doing my homework. They tend to talk to me and want me to have full out conversations with them. taking my time off of my school work." 

"I like to be alone and listen to music to keep me focused!" 

"when I get distracted I normally just take like a 20-30 minute break. then when my break is over I start on assignments." 

"I could have my cellphone off and just allow myself to be on just bluesky instead of facebook or twitter."

"The thought of graduation helps me stay focused"

"The phone gets me distracted so I turn it off when I am doing my homework.  My friends text my alot and tht can be a problem"

Who knows the distractions of online school best? Other online students! 

So many of us (faculty and staff included) have to be aware of the distractions that threaten our focus. 

Many students mentioned turning off their cell phone.
 What a simple idea! Allowing yourself to shut off the constant stream of information, can seriously limit distractions. 

Your fellow students also offered some great suggestions for refocusing. 

"...just take like a 20-30 minute break"

It's so true! A break, a breath of fresh air, some water and a snack...and you're back in business! 

And...probably the most important reason to stay focused: 

"The thought of graduation helps me stay focused"

Make sure to check out the Student Commons discussion board for more about Staying Focused, and for other weekly conversation topics! 

0 comments: